I know I haven’t posted for a long time and I really apologize for that, but I have some really good reasons. I finally moved out of Bucharest to the beautiful city of Brasov and I gotta honestly tell ya with a big smile on my face that I’m Loving it, looking out the window and seeing the mountains is priceless (I promise to post some photos of the new place really soon). Now back to the serious stuff.
Before I present you this week’s scene I gotta apologize to all Pixelophy readers, I know you are expecting more tutorials from me and I promise to have at least one done this month.
This week’s weekly scene is an oldie but goodie and I just had to share with you guys cause I really think it deserves some attention.
Almost one year ago, I started a project called Disney Classical Scene and the plan was to build classic Disney traditional animated movie into 3D. I thought it would have been a nice project. I wanted this project to be a tribute to all of those great Cartoons which I grew up with and shaped my style and the way that I think in one way or the other.
The first scene that I wanted to do was from one of my favorite disney movies, 101 Dalmatian. When I was a kid I used to watch this movie at least once a week. I still remember the day that my father bought us that movie on a VHS… it’s been a while since I have seen one of those around!
Anyhow I started by gathering reference materials, by taking some screenshots from the DVD of the 101 Dalmatians. After that I did some stitching in Photoshop to get a nice panorama and I was ready to start modeling this Classical Disney Scene.
I started by laying down some squares here and there, so I can figure out the size of the room and the main camera angle that I was going to use for the final render. I tired to stay loyal to that angle as much as I could.
I did a simple light setup just so I can test if the objects will look right once placed in the room.
After figuring out the dimensions and placement of the main elements, I started modeling each piece of furniture, book, papers, chimney tools, diplomas and you can see the progress below. I mostly used Polygon modeling for most of the elements and some Nurbs.
This scene was entirely modeled, textured and light setup in Maya and it was rendered using Mental Ray.
For the initial light setup I used a more classical way of setting up the lighting. I used lots of Area lights cause I really wanted to have some nice control on placement, intensity and bounce lights.
Here you can see the lights I have used. I know there are lots of them but each one has its role in the scene.
I rendered this scene without any Global illumination or Final gather and below you can see the Area lights placed in the scene. The scene was rendered using Mental Ray, no GI or FG.
I re-visited the scene and did another light setup this time using same Mental Ray but with Global illumination and Final Gather turned on, and a far much smaller number of lights and you can see that the difference is pretty significant, the main thing I noticed with this light setup is that the room looks much more messy, which is what I wanted in the first place.
And here you can check out the lights setup and the Mental Ray settings that I have used!
As you can see I have used only 5 lights:
- Direct Sun light
- 2 Blue fill point lights
- 2 Green fill point lights
- and 1 Spot light on the small round window
The most important thing I have learned after I finished this scene is fast modeling, because this room had so many elements and so many different objects and shapes it really gave some nice modeling speed. I have added a couple of wireframe screenshots just in case you want to check them out
I did a black and white version of this scene just for fun Hope you like it!
Also planning to render this scene in VRay pretty soon, cause I have started using VRay for Maya lately for most of my 3D scenes.