I know it’s been a very long time since I updated my Blog, but you have no idea how many awesome things happened to me this year alone, Drum Roll……… I’m a Dad I have a beautiful daughter her name is Emma Rose and trust me you will start seeing her in my personal projects :)

In this tutorial I will go over explaining how to create some realistic soft cloth shaders inside Maya using V-Ray, this technique actually works on any type of renderer, I will start by explaining how to create a really simple cloth shader that you can use in your cartoony projects, and then I’ll show you the “standard” cloth technique, and finally I’ll build an awesome shader network that will blow your mind, literally blow your mind so make sure no kids are around when you watch this cause your shattered brain pieces might injure them, so use this tutorial with caution.. YOU have been warned!

Soft Cloth

We will start by creating a V-Ray cloth shader, it’s so soft you would? I told you the shader is going to blow your mind, wait till you get to the part where you can change the color of the shader, you gotta watch it…

Satin Cloth

Once we have that V-Ray cloth shader, we will build on top of it and create more of a satin look, will add some reflections to the v-ray shader and tweak the bump map and cloth texture pattern to get a different result.

Royal Velvet Cloth

Once we have the VRay satin cloth shader ready we will go ahead and create a more velvet like fabric for all your Royal garment and we will also print a gold royal pattern on top of it using V-Ray’s blend material.

Please send me any questions that you have about the shader in the comments section below and I will try to get back to you as soon as I can, and I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback, and don’t forget share the tutorial of you like it 😀

Sign-up to our Newsletter

About Oasim Karmieh

My name is Oasim Karmieh and for the last 12 years I have been working as a freelancer,I have had the pleasure to work with clients all over the world. I have worked on some amazing projects from Animated films, animated short films, commercials and interactive iPad books. I’m what you call a Jack of all trades, but my true love and passion is teaching I always enjoyed sharing my knowledge and technique with all my friends, This is why I started Pixelophy.com, cause I really believe in sharing knowledge and experience, the only way we can grow as artists is to help other artists grow with us.

25 Comments

• Paul Ambrosiussen says:

Thanks! Great tutorial!

It has been hard finding any educational footage about creating realistic cloth shaders in maya with vray!
    So this one is really helping me!

Paul Ambrosiussen

• Bernardo Osório says:

You make it looks easy!
    thanks and cant wait for more v-ray tutorials!

• Alaa says:

You have no idea how miserable I have been to find such a tutorial. Many many thanks.
    I want to ask two questions if possible:
    1- Is there a way to get rid of the strange pattern that appears on the cloth because of tiling the UVs when using bump maps (just like the video at 23:23). The cloth you’re going to demonstrate next week is more like what I’m shooting for.
    2- I wonder if you can show us how to shade a thin fabric (say thin cotton) which kinda have a small translucent/transparent feel that subtly scatter/show-through the skin color behind it.
    I hope I’m not being a pain in the ass and I want to thank you again nonetheless.

• oasim says:

Pleasure is all mine, glad you found it useful.
      1. Well the weird repeated pattern of any texture is a problem but with this texture it’s not that obvious, but you can always hide the repeating pattern by overlaying to cloth textures and get 2 bumps that would give it a more interesting look.
      2. Sure I might make a tutorial on how you could do that.
      You are not being a pain in the ass 😀

• Katia says:

great tutorial :) :) I’m trying to follow along using mental ray but I get so lost :/ makes me want to purchase V-ray after watching this haha :). Is it possible to do a tutorial with mental ray cloth shader, thank you :)

• Jo Ko says:

Amazing tut! Thank you so much :)

• alastair says:

Good job. There is not enough quality vray for maya tutorials around.

• alastair says:

Also. I was wondering if you have found a method to implement Grant warwicks vray workflow. It looks like you were experimenting with multiple fresnel falloffs from the swatches of your gold shader.

• Hey Alastair,
      Yes I did, I’m working on a tutorial for that as-well, should have it up soon! keep an eye on the blog, you can sign-up to my newsletter to make sure you don’t miss it 😀

• Echos says:

great tutorial!! Lower triangular surface model, how to get a smooth surface in the rendering? But I see the tutorial does not use Smooth or Subdivision, but rendered the fabric looks very smooth.

• Thanks! That’s a great question, for this scene I used a V-Ray subdivision to the mesh which means only when V-Ray starts rendering it will subdivide that mesh to make it look smooth, this way the scene doesn’t get heavy. I might do a tutorial on how to setup objects to be render ready in V-ray without adding subdivisions or smooth.

• Dave says:

Thank you very much Oasim for this tutorial, I really like this node-based way of material creation as it offers great flexibility.

I tried to follow along using 3ds Max and I got quite decent results that I could play around and experiment with. One problem I have is that for some reason Max doesn’t handle triangulated low poly geometry very well and creates irregular shadows all over the mesh as soon as I apply subdivision(opensubdiv) to the surface. I end up having to import high-density meshes which kind of kills efficient workflow on my system.
    Do you know if there’s a difference between Maya and Max when it comes to that?

• Hey Dave,
      Pleasure is all mine, and I’m so happy that you liked the tutorial!
      Now about the triangulated mesh, even maya doesn’t deal with it that great when it comes to regular smoothing like meshsmooth, the way I did it is using V-ray subdivision node that’s what it’s called din Maya, try to look for something like subdivs or subdivision modifier and it;s default will be 256 and that is way tooo high usually you never need more than 8, let me know if that helps in any way.

• Dave says:

Hi Oasim,
        thanks for your reply and help.

I followed your advice and indeed there is a V-Ray modifier that handles subdivision differently from the modifiers provided by Max. It’s called VRayDisplacementMod: http://docs.chaosgroup.com/display/VRAY3MAX/Displacement+Modifier+|+VRayDisplacementMod
        In this case the type has to be set to Subdivision and the displacement amount to 0. The results look much better, no more shading errors. I’m very happy about that!

Thanks again, it was driving me crazy, haha!

• Alex says:

very nice tutorial loved it :))
    but if you can do a mentalray tutorial it will be awsome :)

• Hey Alex,
      Thanks, really means a lot that you loved the tutorial! I’m def planning to do more Mental ray tutorials soon. make sure to signup to the newsletter so you don’t miss anything :)

“In learning you will teach, and in teaching you will learn.” ― Phil Collins

Stay ahead of the curve with our blend of illuminating info, free tutorials and other assets. Sign me up